Cindee Ewell (PhD), PATENT ATTORNEY
Dr. Ewell has been practicing intellectual property law since 2004 with a focus on the biological sciences. Her expertise includes patent prosecution, freedom to operate analyses and strategic portfolio planning. Her prosecution experience includes work with pharmaceuticals, antibodies, molecular and genetic tools, gender selection technologies, assisted reproduction, and chemical compounds. Dr. Ewell also interned with the Federal District Court in the Southern District of Texas in 2004.
Originally trained as a researcher in the Texas Medical Center in Houston, Dr. Ewell earned her doctoral degree working with genetic regulation of cell membrane physiology and bacterial cell growth. She went on to study the genetics of aging and reproduction at Baylor College of Medicine where she was a post-doctoral fellow in the Department of Cell Biology for nearly eight years. Her technical training includes reproductive and molecular biology and other related life sciences as well as familiarity with a variety of research model systems including bacteria, yeast, cell culture, flies, rodents and human tissue. She has over twenty scientific publications.
Dr. Ewell has also managed patent portfolios for biotech-based companies from the inside for over seven years and appreciates the demands put on in-house researchers and patent counsel. She has experience with trademarks and copyrights and as well as due diligence and freedom to operate.
- South Texas College of Law
Doctor of Jurisprudence (2004)
- University of Texas - HSC
Doctor of Philosophy in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (1990)
- Cornell University
Bachelor of Science in Microbiology (1980)
ADMISSIONS & REGISTRATIONS
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- State Bar of Texas
- Federal District Court – Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas
HONORS & AWARDS
- HIPLA Fellowship for Federal Court Interns
- Member of Lambda Epsilon Chi National Honor Society
- American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- The College of the Sate Bar of Texas
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Association of Corporate Counsel